A simple rustic Italian apple pie recipe. I like this one mainly because it is mostly about the apple, without any other overwhelming flavors from other stuff, along with a crunchy crust you can’t go wrong. So over all an over a basic practical every day apple pie recipe.
Apple Pie Recipe
- 400 g Granny Smith Apples
- 65 g Plain Flour
- 80 g Self Raising Flour substitute plain flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg LARGE 700g
- 4 tablespoons castor sugar standard sugar is ok but takes longer to dissolve in the egg.
- 45 mls cold water
- 30 g butter
- 1 tablespoon of light oil anything without a strong flavour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the Oven to 200 C
- Peel and dice the raw apple. Add the apple, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to a large pot. Cook over a low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until apple starts to go soft. Turn up the heat for a few more minutes until all liquid is reabsorbed by the apple. Place to one side.
- Mix egg with sugar until sugar has dissolved. Stir in cold water, melted butter, oil and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in sifted flour and mix until a dough is formed.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and gently kneed until smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll out into 4 rough circles on a baking tray.
- Put a quarter of the cooked apple on each and fold up the sides leaving a centre circle of apple uncovered.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
The following YouTube has the speeded up demonstration.
Some more great variations on the apple pie: