The first time I saw someone make this cake, it was like watching a magic trick. Whole oranges into boiling water, “what the …” We were about to defy the laws of nature or at least common sense. This was followed by the anticipation of no idea where this would go next. Then the final result is a cross between a cake and a pudding, a cake recipe so crazy it works. Needless to say, despite not being an actual bakery type, I have done this several times, and so far, I have had no complaints.
Almond Orange Cake Recipe
- 2 Oranges
- 220 g Sugar 7.5 oz
- 300 g ground almond meal 10.5 oz
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Put 2 large whole oranges into boiling water and simmer for 1 hour.2 Oranges
- Roughly chop up the oranges removing only the seeds.
- Puree the oranges to a smooth consistency
- Mix the eggs and add the sugar then whisk until thick and sugar has dissolved3 large eggs, 220 g Sugar
- Fold in the ground almond, orange blossom water and baking powder until mixed.300 g ground almond meal, 1 tsp orange blossom water, 1 tsp baking powder
- Place the mixture into a greased baking pan and bake on 160°C (320 °F) for about 1 hour
- Ice with favourite topping.