I can’t believe how good this recipe turned out. I was looking for a chocolate icing recipe that had no dairy, so after a search of the internet as well as cook books, I came up with the following the source recipes are referenced at the end of the post. It was tweaked a couple of times for sweetness, the 85% chocolate was a little bitter, ended up with a great result.
The dairy cream is replaced by coconut cream, which was my main objective with the recipe. While I was at it I also decided to minimize conventional sugar; the only sugar in the recipe is 15g (2 teaspoons) in the chocolate bar itself, so dairy-free and almost sugar-free, dare I say “no added sugar”. In place of sugar, I used rice malt syrup to sweeten it up, this is a complex carb fructose-free, sucrose-free, sugar alternative. It has a low GI so over all a healthier natural alternative, and more importantly, it works in the recipe and tastes great.
Chocolate Ganache recipe – Dairy free
- 200 g quality dark chocolate 85%
- 1 cup thick coconut cream
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 4 tablespoon of rice malt syrup
- Coarsely chop up the 85% dark chocolate and place in a bowl. Don’t worry it will be sweet before we finish, the salt will also take the edge off the bitterness.
- Have a can of full cream coconut milk that has been sitting in the cupboard for at least a day or so. All of the coconut oil will be floating at the top of the can. Open the can and slowly pour off a half a cup of coconut cream, this generally leaves just the watery coconut milk.
- Heat the coconut cream in a small pot over a moderate heat until it just starts to boil
- Pour the heated coconut cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Add the salt, rice malt syrup and coconut milk and whisk until glossy smooth.
- Now use as you would conventional ganache. Pour over a cake for a nice glossy icing or let it cool to room temperature ( stirring occasionally as it cools) and whip it to the desired fluffiness.
Some other great recipes that are dairy free:
This recipe was based on inspiration from the following: